Does getting a tattoo hurt ?

I’m planning on getting a tattoo sometime soon in memory of my Mum on the bottom part of my arm near the wrist area, this will be my first time getting a tattoo so i’m really nervous. For anyone who has had a tattoo done before, does getting one hurt ?

19 Answers

Relevance
  • Mystic
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

Yeah, it won't be comfortable. Certain areas hurt more than others btw. It also depends on your personal pain tolerance. I think it will be well worth it in the end though. It's great you want to always have a reminder of your mom right there with you. Sorry for your loss and good luck with your tattoo. I hope you find a good artist who does a beautiful job.

• Duck
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yes, it does.  If this is your first tattoo, then don't get it on your hands, elbows, feet, ankles, or shins ... stick to the 'meatier' parts like your arms, calves, or places like that.  When I was getting my arm tattooed, I saw a girl getting her first tattoo on her ankle and she was in tears the whole time.

The worst part is the outline.  Once that is done, the color needles just feel like someone rubbing a pencil eraser on your skin.

• 1 month ago

Yes that definitely hurts because tattoos are done with needles so of course It's going to hurt. I'd recommend getting your first tattoo in a place where there's no bones located because it's even more painful in places where there's a bone located.

• 1 month ago

Depends on where you get the tattoo on your body. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

I never had any tattoos but i heard they hurt so much but once you get used to it ... its like the pain should be tolerable ... some people even describe the feeling of getting massage except its a tattoo

• 1 month ago

it hurts like hell

• 1 month ago

You’ll experience pain when they work right on top of bone. Ribs would rank high on the list. Getting a tat where you’ve got some cushion is much more tolerable.

Source(s): Experience.
  • LM440
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Pain thresholds vary per person.  The easiest way to evaluate is to observe the popularity of tattoos today.  If it hurt that badly you certainly would not see that many people with tattoos.  The biggest problem is working yourself up by listening to stories.  Just get the tattoo without working up a fear and all should be fine.

• al
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

NO, it's all in your mind!

• 1 month ago

Yes. And the inner wrist is especially sensitive to pain. You can meditate to reduce the pain.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.