Why am I getting worse at video games?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago

You most likely aren't... games have been getting less fair, or even for the past decade... It used to be when You played an online multiplayer game that all of the players had the same amount of health points, armor, ammunition, acceleration, top speed, powers, etc. & weapons were laid out around the map, & had spawntimes, so did powers like quad-damage, haste, invisibility, etc. & aside from how long players had been playing the game, Their' intelligence, hand eye co-ordination, TV screen size, & internet bandwidth, everybody pretty much had a decent chance if winning every time, ...

AND with lots of practice, getting used to lag i.e. aiming slightly ahead of opponents' character, plane, car, etc so the lag would make Your' shot more accurate, memorizing maps, tracks, etc. a few elite players would emerge as the best players on any given game.       Fast forward 20 years into a game industry utterly ruined by pay-to-win, character classes, vehicles with different statistics, downloadable content, 3rd world jerks who use hacking tools, lockboxes You have to spend 100s, if not 1,000s of dollars to open enough to max out Your' gear, etc. all started by Bill A-hoIe Gates, & his hired criminal Petter Eater Moore... Now who wins depends MUCH more on who has the "ringer" gear, weapons, character class, vehicle, pay-to-win, downloadable content, micro-transactions buIIcrap! Games have nothing to do with skill anymore, & it's disgusting!

*note* See the answer I wrote  for the question:"Does anyone else miss being a gamer?" as I explain in great detail how these two criminals ruined the videogame industry.

• 10 months ago

You could be getting busier and have less time to practice. 

It could be that it just appears that way because there are so many no-lifers now that do nothing but play games and comparing yourself to them gives the illusion of getting worse when in reality you just aren't progressing as fast as them.

Perhaps the games that interest you now are harder than ones you've played before.

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

probably brain damage

• Anonymous
    11 months ago

Because you are maturing as an individual, good job. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 11 months ago

could be boredom and lack of desire and hunger.

I find I play better when I'm high and drunk these days lol

• 11 months ago

Could be your eyes, have them checked out  

• 11 months ago

Thinking too much, change little things and see if that helps. Also, if your playing for extended periods of time, I would suggest a little relaxation away from the game and then try again, sometimes helps!

• Anonymous
    11 months ago

its just like any skill. you dont practice enough, you start to forget it

• 11 months ago

It's hard to say without personally knowing you & your lifestyle, but probable causes are...

* Lack of practice in said game or genre -- This could be considered as "skill rust", as it may have been some time (like years) between games that utilized such skills, so you may have forgotten a few things.

* Subversion of current skills -- This tends to be a bit more common as games want to challenge players by doing stuff or providing mechanics that weren't available in previous games.  Those who played (& effectively mastered) the original Super Mario Bros. series on the NES may have some challenges with New Super Mario Bros. series on modern consoles as there's some moves (like wall jumping) were not available in the past & takes some time to adjust.

Sometimes, having an older player "unlearn" something can be harder than a newer player learning something.

* Game is providing more challenges than originally thought. -- This could be part of the subversion of current skills, but they could be running on a higher challenge curve, requiring faster improvements of skill than initially thought.

* You're getting older -- Sadly, age does play against you as your reaction times increase & movement speeds decrease.  There's also arthritis, being more prone for eye strain & whatnot does take its toll.

It's possible there's a mix of things, but I hope this sheds some light on the subject.

• Anonymous
    11 months ago

The games are getting cleverer.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.