What’s the difference between sterling silver and white gold?

So I can’t wear gold because I am allergic to it. (Plus I don’t really like the look of it). I love silver so I’m wondering what is the difference between sterling silver and white gold? Would I be able to wear white gold if I’m allergic to regular gold? I looked up pictures and they look the same just not sure what the difference is. 

Ps. My boyfriend was wondering what the difference was and I really am not sure so idk what to tell him 😂

Sterling Silver is 92.5% silver while gold is gold regardless of it's color. The percentage varies by 10K, 14K, etc. It's a different metal.

Silver is made of silver. White gold is an alloy -a mixture of metals - and includes gold, palladium, nickle, silver and a plate layer of rhodium. If you are allergic to gold then white gold will also be a problem. If you want a fine precious metal try platinum. It has no gold. It is expensive but it should be hypoallergenic.

• -

Sterling silver is 925 parts in 1000 pure silver.

White gold is gold mixed with another metal giving it the Silver look. The most common white metals that form the white gold alloy are nickel, palladium, platinum, and manganese. Sometimes copper, zinc or silver are added.

Unusual that you're allergic to gold

• marty

One of my daughters has a problem with yellow gold but wears white gold and silver with no outbreak.  I have no idea why she is like that or the science of it.

• Adam D

White gold is a gold alloy - it's still going to be a high percentage of gold, so if you have an allergy you can't wear it.

Sterling silver is a silver alloy with a few other metals to improve strength and durability, since pure silver is pretty soft.  It won't contain gold.

• Mark

One is silver, and one is gold.

Source(s): logic