Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthAlternative Medicine · 2 months ago

Why don't doctors let you pass out?

I was going to pass out. I was sitting down though. I felt so drained and tired I just needed to shut my eyes and calm down because the situation was stressing me out but they kept saying "open your eyes" why wouldn't they let me relax? I felt like they were making it worse but I couldn't communicate that to them. I was trying to meditate till it went away. 

That doesn't answer my question Barry. I was sitting down and could have easily laid back. Where was I going to struck my head? On the pillow?

• Barry has a Good point.

I used to work at Scripps back in the day.  That would fall under the heading of a malpractice suit.  (I also have a son who is a corporate attorney.)  :D

But, I understand.  I had a heart thing while at Disneyland on year.  They wanted to ambulance me to the nearest hospital and my family had not a clue where I was.

I said, please give me five minutes.  If my heart rate does not come down, you win.  Thank God, it did!  :D

You do not explain why you were there in the first place. Also since you wrote 'they' there must have been more than one doctor present, which is very unusual. 

• Marc

Well that depends on what was causing the syncope. If it was drug overdose you do not want to let the patient pass out because that can make the situation worse. Why were you passing out?

• Dixon

The main genuine reason for not having a passed out patient is so medical staff can ask questions if they need to. Other than that, as long as they are physically supported and safe I gather it is fine for a patient to pass out. However, I suspect there is a cultural behaviour to prevent passing out and to bring people round asap. Lots of movies give the impression it is important not to lose consciousness but medically this is not true.

• Bill

Why were you in a doctor's office or hospital in the first place? Being able to answer questions can help them find out what's wrong, and your condition might have been worse than you realized at the time.

Mainly it's because they are there to preserve life and don't take any chances. 

• Barry

If you collapsed and struck your head on something they would have been negligent. Fairly obvious I would think.