Sugar with caffeine addiction vs. alcohol addiction- what’s worse? ?

I’m addicted to sugary caffeinated beverages (Pepsi, Mt Dew, Dr. Pepper etc) and I got a friend who’s an alcoholic. 

We’re arguing right now. Who has the worse addiction?

Depends on your definition of worse. If it's early death, alcohol probably wins. If it's a miserable existence with insulin dependency, go with soft drinks.

your addiction will never lead you to leave your family destitute while you spend all your money on soda.

An alcoholic will.

You probably won't ever drive your vehicle erratically and kill someone just because you had a couple pepsi's before driving.

The alcoholic will.

You won't ever wake up with a total stranger in your bed, while your spouse is at home with the kids because you drank a pepsi and passed out.

The alcoholic could very well do it. AND many have.

You won't ever get fired for drinking any soda at work. the alcoholic will get fired for drinking on the job.

• David

Alcohol addiction might kill you faster but sugar addiction is just plain stupid.  There are plenty of ways to get caffeine without sugar.

• geezer

The fact that alcohol is probably the 'worse addiction' doesn't mean that

sugary drinks are 'alright'.

Alcohol will damage your liver but sugary drinks will be equally damaging

in the long run to 'different parts' of your body.

Sugary drinks are more likely to give you diabetes .. or make you obese.

the alcoholic, no question about it

Source(s): Nurse

Sugary caffeinated beverages are not something you can get genuinely addicted to. Alcohol is something you can get genuinely addicted to. I've never heard of anyone losing their job, crashing their car, alienating all their friends and relatives, or getting divorced because they drank sugary caffeinated beverages. All those things are often the result of an alcohol addiction. I doubt if either you or your friend really knows what alcoholism is.

• Speed

Jeremy, yours is an ingrained habit, not a true addiction. The alcoholic has it far worse.

If you were forced to stop, you'd have cravings, but not actual withdrawal.

You're weak for being addicted to something so tame. Your friend has it worse.

Everyone knows someone who destroyed their life with alcohol--lost their job, their friends, their family.  Plus years of hard drinking can destroy your liver.

Sugar is not good for you though.  Our bodies are not really designed to process refined sugar, and a 12-oz Coke has maybe 10 teaspoons of the stuff, all dissolved and ready to go to work.  Sugar can destroy your pancreas, but at least you can then still live with insulin injections.  When alcohol destroys your liver you're in much worse shape, waiting for a transplant.

Then there's caffeine.  I'm a caffeine addict myself.  If I don't get my big mug of coffee in the morning, I get a headache around 10:00 and nothing will make it go away except coffee.  The well-known 'caffeine headache'.  I've thought about going off coffee for a week or two just to see how long the headache will last.  (But I haven't done that.)  SOME people get heart palpitations, or can't sleep, or whatever.  But other than that, there's no real evidence that caffeine is dangerous or harmful.

So yeah, I'd say alcohol addiction is worse than either sugar or caffeine addiction.  Though addiction itself is generally not a good thing because it compromises your control of your life.

• Mj

Given a choice I'd prefer the sugar addiction. I would have never gotten a criminal charge for driving on too much sugar and caffeine.