Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsRespiratory Diseases · 1 month ago

Does this sound like sleep apnea to you?

Suddenly I am waking up almost screaming cause I am choking while sleeping. I can't sleep on my back cause I feel like something is always blocking my airway.

Does this sound like sleep apnea?

Spent 20 plus years with someone who did just this  The only way to free yourself is total isolation or strict rehabilitation which you  also have the choice to leave  Evil stuff. Good luck

Sage your house. 😭

Yes. You should see a doctor.

Yes, that's exactly sleep apnea. Apnea is when your tongue relaxes and falls back into your breathing passages, blocking it slightly. This usually only happens when you're sleeping on your back, and gravity pulls your tongue back. It doesn't happen when you're lying on your back but are awake, because you are actively keeping your tongue from falling back while awake. It also seems to happen mainly to people who have a little bit of extra weight that they're carrying around. Loud snoring is often a symptom of it.

I used to sleep on my side, so snoring was not a problem. I eventually had a bad back problem, so I had to learn to sleep on my back. Once I got used to sleeping on my back, then my apnea problems started. Just like you, I would wake up choking, and in fact as soon as I started snoring I would wake up, and couldn't get back to sleep because I was afraid that I would begin choking. I was sent to a sleep study, and they confirmed pretty quickly that I had apnea, in fact they said it was pretty severe, I was not breathing for 40% of the time! So they prescribed a CPAP machine, and that's how I've slept for the past 2 years. The CPAP machine takes a bit of getting used to. You have to get used to having a tube of air attached to you while you sleep, and also the higher pressure air makes it difficult to talk while it's running. But being able to sleep without worrying about dying is worth it.

No...............

I sleep with my back at 30 degrees now.

Hospitals have found it reduces breathing problems, and reduces pneumonia chances too.

• kelvin

no it does not......

• kelvin

and what you described is not sleep apnea and if it bothers you get tested for it and the test only cost about $1,000

• Tavy

No it's normal if you lie on your back. The tongue  drops back and closes the airways.