brooke asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 10 months ago

What can cause a credit score to go down for no reason?

It was the same number for a few months. It was in the “good” range. I was happy with it. I just checked it and it went down about 15 points. But nothing has changed. I’ve done nothing different. I payed my credit card the same day I always pay it (which is pay day). and I never owe much on it. could it be because my pay is this Thursday and it will go up once I pay it? I’m just not sure of reasons that could cause it to go down so much with no changes. 

I’m 20 and really worry about my credit because I’ve seen how it can mess up your life if it’s bad :(

I guess I’m just wondering if this is a normal thing that will happen (that it fluctuates) or if it was something on my end that I did? This seems dumb to ask but I’m just curious 

• Scott

There's always a reason.

If it went down, there is a reason.

15 points is not much, a blip, inconsequential.

• Judith

It is paid - not payed.

Hopefully you always, without fail, pay your bill before the due date.  If you 'always' pay on a payday just make sure that it results in their getting the payment a day or two before due.  It also helps to pay more than the minimum due rate.

Why it went down 15 points I don't know but it might have something to do with their cycle and how your payment falls into that cycle.

It fluctuates. This is normal. More than 20 points of it is based on the amounts of time since various things, and since the amount of time is increasing everyday, it's almost impossible for a score to stay the same.

Payed is spelled P-A-I-D.

Your score should not fluctuate 15 points unless you are carrying a large % of your credit limit or you applied for credit at a couple of places recently.

Go to credit karma & read, Just never be late and you wont have bad credit.