Camaro Engine Swap?

I just bought an 85 camaro with a 2.8L V6. Would I be able to use the stock mounts for a 305 or a 350, or would I have to make some adjustments and changes?

Attachment image

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Carson
    Lv 6
    9 months ago
    Favourite answer

You should find a V8 donor car. Find one, a Z28 would be great and the newest 3 gen you can find. It will be much cheaper in the long run. You need accessory drives (pulleys) 350 or 327, both 4inch bore 305 is a 3 7/8ths bore I think. They are real dogs.

85 is OBD1.Do you have emissions checks in your state? If not trash that sh1t and use a Holly. Or find a donor with all of it. I never liked the throttle injection.

Some things you can use and upgrade along the way.

That car probly has a 200R trans. Baby it until you can get a 700R. Same goes for the rear end. 95% are "open difs" but the gearing is probly around 2.73. Hack cough

Front coil springs are engine size specific. Does it have the "cost saving 4 lug rims. Gotta go.

Radiator has gotta go. Throttle cables and kick downs are different.

Really, find a V8 donor. I hope you spin wrenches on more than a Briggs Stratton. You have a job a head of you.

• M.
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

I believe that the V8 mounts are in the same place.  Just measure from the center of the top mount boss bolt hole to the back surface of the block on each engine.

The back of the V6 and V8 blocks are the same for transmission mounting.

• zipper
    Lv 6
    9 months ago

Lots of changes pal the motor mounts will not line up to start with, and the computer is wrong for the larger engine. and you may need a larger radiator to keep the larger engine cool! It can be done, but it can be a real pain in the butt!

• 9 months ago

Since the 2.8 V6 is a 60 degree V configuration, it's much skinnier than a (90 deg.) small block V8, so different mounts would most likely be required.

As stated by another, a donor car would help your cause immensely. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 9 months ago

You can put in a SBC, but will need proper mounts, among a lot of other things.

• 9 months ago

that would be the least of your problems

• 9 months ago

No, the mounts will have to be changed. Do not use a 305 as they are weak engines. You do know that you will have to change many other things. Plan on making a few trips to the salvage yard for some odds and ends. You will need the engine, of course. You will also need a transmission as the one that came with the V6 won't cut it. Just about any manual or automatic that came with a Chevrolet V8, with the exception of a 4X4 truck. You may also need a Camaro V8 transmission crossmember, but the V6 one may be the same. You will need Camaro V8 motor mounts. Shouldn't be hard to find as this year Camaro came with a V8 You may want to replace the rear end also. The weak open differential that was used on the V6 won't cut it. You will want a radiator for a V8 Camaro which will have a larger cooling capacity. The V6 radiator won't cut it. You will need to trplace the fuel pump. The fuel injection fuel pump puts out way too much pressure for a carburetor. You will need either headers or a crossover pipe for a V8 Camaro. You will also need other odds and ends like accessory brackets. Better yet if you can get the complete accessory drive from a early to mid 1990's V8. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.