Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesDancing · 2 months ago

What moves will I be able to do as an adult ballerina?

I'm a 25-year-old female, and I want to do adult ballet (I haven't taken a single ballet class in my life, mind you). As well, I want to work my way up to pointe. What moves will I be capable of once I'm en pointe? Now I know I'll be nowhere near as good as professional dancers, but I would like to at least look "presentable" while dancing. Thank you so much!

Recreational ballet is for anyone of any age, shape and abilities. How good you get and whether or not you will ever get into pointe shoes will depend on the gifts you were born with and the quality and quantity of your training. Not everyone is physically capable of dancing in pointe shoes. It is harder the older you get. In order to be ready for pointe you will need at least three standard 90 minute ballet classes a week for at least three years. Even if you were born with nothing stopping eventual pointe work, you will be hard pressed to find an adult beginner ballet class that is serious enough and offers three or more classes a week. Unless you live in NYC, Chicago, or Philly or other area where there is a strong ballet presence, the right classes may not be available. If you rush into pointe shoes before you are ready, you open yourself up for injury. Pointe work can hurt a lot if you aren’t strong enough to lift up out of the shoe. 

There is no reason you cannot enjoy ballet classes as an adult. Why not get started but just put the thought of pointe shoes away for now as that is years down the road ....if it ever happens, 

* Note: as Lorraine mentioned, the term “ballerina” is reserved for the top female dancers in a professional ballet company. Most professional dancers never earn that title. 

The word 'ballerina' is reserved for a few very special ballet soloists within a company so for sure you will never earn the right to be called that...however,  I say this purely for your education in ballet. 

Starting as an adult you will benefit a LOT from the classes but most adult classes are only once a week or maximum of two.   Personally I would NEVER put an adult starting at 25 into point shoes but you might find a teacher who will. 

But dance to enjoy it and wish you all the best with it. 

• mintchips49

Why would anyone TD this answer? 

They won't put you on pointe for a while. You have a lot to learn BEFORE you get there. I started ballet at age 7, into early adulthood. Expect to begin with young kids, but they may advance you to an older age group rapidly. Not too rapidly. You really have a lot to learn first, starting with posture.

Source(s): Knowledge.
    • mintchips49

They will not put a 25 year old with young children. That is what adult beginner ballet classes are for. It is possible she may be put in a teen beginner ballet class if that is all that is available, but never with 7 -10 year old students. 

Do it lady, you are Fully grown and can do what you want to. I support you.