How to afford college without a cosigner?

So I'm in my second year of college. Both years my parents begrudgely signed for private loans to aid me in attending University. But this year my dad made it clear he cannot finally afford to co-sign again as I come from a large family and he's juggling aiding multiple of us as the three he's helping (including me) are in our early 20's. He won't try to apply for a PLUS loan because he knows he'll be approved. I've applied for private loans but am not approved as my credit is too small and I also do not make enough yearly. (Sallie Mae requires 24k a year to be approved on my own). So next year I'll be 6k short. Can't pay out of pocket with no other cosigner available to me. I am considering an associate's but I'll lose my big scholarship at my University. They also said there's not much else they can do to help me. Any suggestions on what I can do to keep going to University? What are my other options?

Do a scholarship search to find more scholarships. Try HoratioAlger.org

if your University's financial aid office can't or won't find a way to make this work, it is time to change University.

Source(s): 33 years married to University Professor
  • Take the bursary.

• Adam D

You can work to cover some of it, but the clear choice is to attend a university you can afford with the resources at your disposal.

There are also typically tons of scholarships out there that go unclaimed simply because nobody knows about them and they get to applicants.  Get on Google, search around, and start grinding out the applications/essays/whatever else they require and see if you can get some of those - you should still have a week or two before spring semester starts.

This indeed is a problem. What you need to do is try and apply for a bursary where your studies are ensured. Other than that, there's not much options.