Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsRugby · 2 months ago

Why is rugby considered a posh/upper class sport ?

I’m very much working class and I played rugby. Just because I came from a working class background did stop me from signing up for club rugby. I basically live and breathe rugby and my family is certain nowhere near posh lmao. Basically everyone in my team were working/middle class. 

• You don't see football/soccer played that much at universities in Britain. Small towns that don't have a Premier League/Championship football side but have rugby would be hotbeds of it. The London clubs (Saracens, Quins, etc.) have history and a fan base but clubs like Sale and Newcastle are very much competing for eyeballs with football.

Anybody can and should play if they want to but it started out at posh private schools and so that's where the association started.  Also for a very long time Rugby Union was non professional and so richer people were in a better position to play it (they could afford to be injured and not have to do physical work).