Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsGolf · 3 months ago

Do you prefer a blade putter or a mallet putter?

Is there a difference, or is it more or less personal preference in feel and design?

It is some preference but not entirely. Mallet putters allow for better distance control and toe drag which helps players who have a lot of rotation in the wrists during their swing. A blade putter allows the toe to swing more which helps for more experienced players with a sense of feel. 

well it is not just preference but also your putting stroke.   There are some strokes that is well suited with a blade and there are type of strokes that is good with mallet.   It is because the mallet design with a straight hosel is not for everyone.   The process of selecting a putter head design must be done by the help of a professional clubfitter.  Note a clubfitter and not a shop sales.   

• Bob

It's  a  personal preference, I prefer blade putters.

I prefer a blade putter as a personal choice.

• I've gone exclusively to mallet putters for the last 12 years. The mallet is easier for me to get a pendulum swing that I was never able to do with a blade. It's really a personal preference. Some golfers feel like they have more control with a blade. Suggestion: try both and see what you like.

Putters are probably more of a personal preference than any other club in the bag. I prefer a mallet as I tend to keep a mallet with the perimeter weighting easier to align and keep on line during the stroke. If you are going to be really serious about your game, however, it will be worth the effort and expense to get fitted for your equipment. The club fitter will help you find the right gear for your game and "eye".