Jake asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 9 months ago

Someone please explain the weight and body fat difference between men and women ?

I have a male friend who is a body builder. I am a female btw. He lifts weights and stuff and does not do any type of cardio as he hates cardio and is trying to get bigger.  He has very little body fat and his six pack shows even when not flexing. He eats Burger King with sprite for breakfast, chick fil a sandwich and fries for lunch and McDonald’s burger fries, apple pie for dinner. I swear to you that’s what he eats every day before he works out. I’ve known him for a few years now and that’s always been his routine. I’ve always heard abs are made in the kitchen but I don’t understand why I, a female have to eat cleaner to get abs and yet I can still have a pudge and he doesn’t. YES!!! I know WOMEN have more body fat than men for birthing reasons and what not but regardless of anatomy, eating fast food 3x day you will eventually leave a stomach pudge so why hasn’t he have one? All he does is lift weights. I know everyone has abs and everyone’s show different but still, it doesn’t make sense to me. Fat is fat. And working out every day and doing abs means nothing if you’re eating too much unhealthy stuff right???

Working out burns the fat. I don't know how much he's lifting but it must trade off. Also he's taller and men's metabolism is faster because muscle burns more than fat. Sorry to tell you biology isn't fair. You need to do more work than he does to stay in shape.

It's all about calories. Also he may not have many fat cells around his midsection. Men usually have less subcutaneous fat as well

Lifting weights is a great addition to routines as long as you don't overdo it. When you build more muscles, those muscles burn more calories than body fat. For the same person doing the same exercises, when they have more muscle tissue, they burn more calories since their metabolic rate is higher ("10 pounds of muscle would burn 50 calories in a day spent at rest, while 10 pounds of fat would burn 20 calories"). Although weightlifting isn't for everyone, it might be one of the factors for your friend's continued physical fitness.

However, although he may have abs, that doesn't mean that he is necessarily healthier than you. If he eats too much fast food, although he may look physically healthy, he might still have higher risk of cardiovascular disease (from the high salt, fat, sugar, etc. content). Also, as he ages, he will likely have a harder time maintaining the same physical appearance if he continues his current lifestyle. It is still entirely possible to have a heart attack even if you have abs if you don't maintain a healthy lifestyle, although I suppose the opposite is also true, since there are countless factors, such as family history, underlying health conditions, etc. Some of my former male classmates were very thin regardless of what they ate, but when they hit an older age, they started gaining weight.

It sounds like you are very conscious of your health behaviors, which is great, since health is a long-term effort. If you have a stomach pudge, is it more/less visible when you are in certain postures? If it is, you might want to considering adding (if you haven't already) some exercises for your core muscles.

Is it possible that your pudge is due to other things such as bloating? Do you have IBS, lactose intolerance, ovarian cysts, or something similar?

Like said, males and females store fat differently. Due to childbirth capabilities, women have to be able to store fat to endure the intensely draining process of pregnancy. This isn't the most scientific article, but it summarizes major points:

"women are biologically predisposed to store fat in their abdomens more efficiently than men, since belly fat serves as protection for the reproductive organs and fetus during pregnancy. As a result, women's bodies naturally begin storing fat cells in the belly area during adolescence and young adulthood in preparation for childbearing. Men, of course, don't have such a biological predisposition, and thus have an easier time maintaining washboard abs."

Although not impossible, it is just harder for women to get and maintain abs. Also, while an average woman would be generally considered healthy at around 25% body fat, men at 25% would be considered obese (average would probably be around 15% for men).

Not sure if that answered your question, but hope it helps!

I'm going to guess he's young, right? He won't be able to pull this off at a certain age.

Everyone differs anyone. Some people are hard gainers: skinny, they can eat what they want, but they have a hard time packing on muscle. Others get fat more easily. Once you get fat, it's harder to lose.

Look up "brown fat" -- there's a difference in fats in your body.

As for the difference between men and women, women's bodies are designed by thousands of years of evolution to give birth. The body likes to see about 80,000 extra calories lying around before getting pregnant. So women's bodies are designed to maintain fat. Just the way it is.

Keep working out and eating clean. Keep in mind that as a woman you'll live a longer life than a man will.