Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentLaw & Legal · 2 months ago

Can employer still do reference check if one of my past employer has already closed down? ?

*No more exist

• Jane

It's essential to give a reference that the employer can actually follow up.If all of your previous employers have closed down and no longer exist, there is no point giving their details as they will not receive any answer.

If the new employer insists on you giving your last employer as a reference and the cannot be contacted, then you should explain this and give an alternative.

Alternatives can be- a character reference from someone who has known you for the last year or so and is not family, a previous employer that you have checked is still available to be contacted, any unpaid/charity work you might have done etc.

This is not uncommon, I've has this problem myself- you MUST make sure that any reference details you give are valid or you risk losing the job if the new employer cannot get a reply from the contact details you have given.

Some of my old employers are gone so I just request a printout from the tax office when I need a long check like five or ten years, if not I just give details of one that is still open.

Yes. Track down your references, for example, through Facebook, and tell the employer how to contact them (their personal phone number, their new employer's name, or their e-mail address).

Of course he can, and he will. Nowadays, they all do pretty much.

They could track down people on social media.  There is a lot of research done today on employees and rightfully so since they are hiring you to help their business.

• John

Is your job similar to your last job? All the bosses and most of the employees know the competition and they network. Did you lie on your resume?

• Tavy

How can they if they are no longer there?

They can try to...

They may not be successful