Danielbombz asked in SportsRunning · 2 months ago

If I lose weight will I get faster?

I am a 14 year old dude, I'm 5'7 and weigh 110 lbs. I take track very seriously and will do what ever it takes to get faster. I run Cross Country and have an 18 minute 5k an 10:58 2 mile and a 4:57 mile. I want a college scholarship in the states and I'm american but live in Germany. Anyways, I want to become faster because I want to go to NB nationals. I don't want any "Don't do this" or any answers worrying about me because regardless I'm probably going to lose weight. If your answer is yes I would love to know how I should go about doing it, etc. Thank you!

No cause I've seen buff dudes run faster than you in my cross country team. Mo Farah who's like one of the best 5k and 10k runners out there weighs more than you. You're going to need to run intervals that have some anaerobic part to it to get better. Overdoing long runs and being really thin may get you in the door in a high school team but you still need to workout.

• I know who mo farah is and he weighs more than me cause the dudes like almost complete muscle, me not so much I would love to obtain I body like his but I don't know how.

• .

At 5'7" for an adult male, the recommended healthy weight range is 141 - 162 lbs, depending on body frame size. By being underweight already, and considering losing more weight, you need to understand that it's MUSCLE you're lacking and considering losing more of. You're not going to run faster with LESS muscle, unless you get a super strong tail wind. Seriously.

Runners who want to get faster need to BUILD muscle and strengthen the areas that help improve speed (look up strength training for runners). While a person's weight does have some bearing on their speed (the more weight you have to move, the more effort is required to move it), that is relevant more to tall and/or overweight people. Dropping below a healthy weight doesn't really help improve speed, in fact it can do the opposite (because people who are under the recommended weight for their height tend to have less muscle mass than they should have, because that's what the body is using for energy to make up for the shortage of calories the person is consuming). 

• Adam D

It's likely that at your height and weight, you're too thin,  even for longer running.  Most of the racing at the high school level, even cross country, still has a significant anaerobic component - you're not running marathons, it's middle distance. You need power in addition to endurance, you can't have power without some muscle. At 110 pounds, you don't have muscle. 

• Murzy

It won't significantly increase your speed.

There's a little trick used by the armed forces it's called rucking they give you a heavy backpack and they make it carry it soon your body builds up and gets used to the additional weight and in the event of combat when you take off your backpack you're stronger and faster than your enemy. The same thing can be used when you're running and training you can put weights on your wrists and on your legs and wear a backpack that weighs 20 or 30 pounds. This will force your body to get stronger to accommodate the additional weight and when you actually run a race take your weights off and you'll be stronger and faster than everybody else

• martin

Its not an army trick .but a lot of what you said  is true so a T/U from me