Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelOther - Destinations · 2 months ago

Why do Greek people keep staring at me?

Me and my family ( my father who is black, my mom who is white, my sister, my younger brother and me who are all tan,)

We CONSTANTLY are being stared at in Crete, Greece. It’s hard to tell if it is because we are not liked or because we look different. Is it a race issue, or just cultural? Sometimes it seems aggressive and we are not sure how to respond. Should we look away? Should be acknowledge we are being stared at. I’m confused.

Greeks are strange people

Are you ALL being stared at, or is it just your father? While there are plenty of black people all over Europe, it's possible that there are fewer in holiday destinations than in cities.

Whatever the reason, they think your family seems interesting, so be flattered instead of getting upset.

There is no need whatever to 'respond' in any way. At most, give a slight smile, then just go on with whatever you're doing.

Because Greeks are the purest people in Europe, they don't want you blacks to be there

Muslim rapefugees from Africa are in the Greek islands so they might think you are one of them

• 2 months agoReport

Hahahaha

Most likely because you look different. I'm black and when I travel I sometimes have braids and I'm stared at constantly and intensely. I've been to a few cities in Greece and I was normally the only person of color around (on the beach, restaurants) and the stares are uncomfortable but I think its because I stand out more. This is common for a lot of countries where most people have the same features, anytime I travel to a European country I just have to ignore the stares but sometimes I do stare back ;)

A Catholic Country, where daring to cross with two fingers instead of three is a cause of gossip and YOU think that a mixed marriage resulting in many sambos is not.

That is not staring, you are getting the "evil eye".

Race issues are Everywhere, but only the "free world" (aka U.S.) allows it to be printed.

Koreans are the worst I have experience with. Dating back to the Korean Police Action. When the U.S. Black Troops packed up to leave (the US govt refused to allow them to bring back their new families) the many villages would kill the mixed race babies to keep their population pure. Very little of that made the press. Koreans still "hate" Blacks when the move here.

With some Nationals it is nationalism more than race that creates bias. Or Religion, etc.

• anna2 months agoReport

Please elaborate, I wasn’t aware there was a race issue in Greece.

Just give them a high five salute but have it move towards them.