Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 9 months ago

Effective Solution for Maladaptive daydreaming?

I am a Maladaptive Daydreamer, ever since I was a kid. When I was about 9, I started writing my fantasies out and I still do to this day. Living is my trigger. Now, I realize I spend hours a day daydreaming and it has to stop. I was thinking on how to solve this and I think I should write a final end to my fantasies, and anytime they are coming back, I will force myself to read this end. The problem is, I'm still very emotionally attached to them and they give me lots of creativity and ideas. I get lots of emotional support and energy from my daydreams and I'm scared to leave that. Any help?

• Judy

Have you thought about a book ? Summit to an editor.

Why leave? Daydreaming is a healthy thing for the most part. If you're so caught up in your daydreams, you can't snap out of it (like if your phone rings or there's a fire), then you have a problem. If your daydreams are about terrible things happening to you or you doing terrible things to others or your daydreams prevent you from working or socializing, then you might want to talk to a therapist. If your daydreams inspire you creatively, then continue to write them down, consider writing stories or doing paintings, and enjoy them. They're not maladaptive unless they cause you problems.

This is not formally recognized as a disorder, but some people are getting therapy for it. There's a standard test for it. One expert suggests going to a good support group online, such as Wild Minds Network.

A psychologist can help, l believe the remedy

Is distraction at your disgression thanks.

A doctor could also help you thanks.

Thanks

Very Best Wishes

Mars

Source:) General knowledge

First, I've never heard of "maladaptive daydreaming". Second, I'm pretty sure J.K, Rowling thought up Harry Potter during daydreams. If you mean that you daydream during classes, that could be a problem. Otherwise, don't try to cut off your fantasy life. 

• j153e

Writing your fantasies is good, because your fantasies then become more organized, follow a plot line, etc.

If you're emotionally benefiting by your daydreams, perhaps you should talk with a counselor to find encouragement and new directions.

https://www.hopefortheheart.org is a good, free site;

https://www.klove.com is a mild Christian site, and it has the value that regardless if you listen to their message or not, if you simply ask for contact numbers for counselors in your area, they will provide a list; these counselors are very cautious about prescribing meds.

"Understanding Yourself" by Mark Prophet and

"Creation:  Artistic and Spiritual" by Omraam Aivanhov are also good.