what should i add to my book?

so i'm doing self publishing and i want so many pages for the book to make it worth while. i'm closing in the number of pages of the book i want. i realized i have some poems i didn't put in the book should i put them in or something else? i want to show i have rang in the book. any tips?

• Andrew

When you say that you want to "make it worth while", I can only assume that you're saying that by increasing the number of pages, you're somehow providing buyers with more and that they'll see that as getting more for their money, but that's not how it works when it comes to books and writing. It's always quality over quantity when it comes to writing. The only exception I would make is when you're being paid by the word, which you are not. 

You don't just cram sub-par filler into your book to increase the word count and the number of pages. What would possess you to think that would be a good idea? Each and every page of your book ought to adhere to the standard that you set for yourself. If your standards are low and it doesn't bother you in the least to pack your book with whatever you've got sitting around, then go ahead and do so, but don't expect that to "make it [more] worth while" because it won't. If you want to add more to the book, then think of ways that you could expand on what you've already got. 

I mean, have you even bothered proofreading, editing, revising, refining and performing rewrites on what you've got, or did you just throw together a slapdash, haphazard rough draft that you plan to go to print with as a final copy? Never mind adding to it, make sure that what you're ready to print is worthy of being printed. If it needs tweaking, do that first. Why the big rush? 

• Marli

Unless you intend to publish a volume of your poems, essays or short stories, I wouldn't add your poems to fill out the book.

It worries me that you're more concerned with the number of pages in the book than you are about producing a quality product.

i would put the poems in there

I think you meant range. How can anyone know what you should add to your book when they don't what the book already contains?

Sure. The best way to show that you've rang in the book is to use a really good ringing sound. I've read, and used many, myself, and in my experience the best one to use is "BRRRRRRIIIIIINNNNGGGGG!". I don't like to boast, but a recent review in The Times of one of my latest collections said "Sir Caustic does really great ringing bits in his stuff and I want to have his babies..... and I'm male! Five stars!". Hope this helped.