Anonymous

How should I treat my mother's boyfriend, who is soon going to become my step-dad?

Me and Mom are Vietnamese-Americans and my future step-dad is African-American. I need to understand how to behave with him and more about his culture. He is a Kenyan man. I want to behave in such a way as to not offend him nor harm him. (Please do not post racist comments.)

Favorite Answer

How about you enter into a conversation with him and establish the fact that you respect your mother's judgement and hope for her happiness. Then ask him what you should call him, and what trigger words you should not use that are common in your language. Emphasize that you want to have a relationship of mutual respect. Where you are coming from should elicit an honest and sympathetic response.

• reme_1

Just be civil and polite.

Just a small point ... you're all Americans

Start by saying "my mom and I are Vietnamese-Americans."  He'll be impressed by your good grammar.