Should I replace the PCV valve on my 2004 Lincoln TC with 55K miles. It has a 4.6L engine. The present one is the original.?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • GA41
    Lv 7
    8 months ago
    Favourite answer

Often replacing the PCV valve is included as part of the tune up. They are also not very expensive and easy to replace. However, I suspect the existing valve is still functioning. You would probably be O.K. to keep the existing valve. You may consider looking at the preventative maintenance interval chart in your operating manual. It may tell you when they recommend replacing it. If you're trying to keep your vehicle in excellent shape, follow the recommendations.

• 8 months ago

Yes. This valve is important and often overlooked. The valves are cleanable but plastic can get fragile and taking it off can break it. The valve regulates the engines internal pressure and controls blowby intake. 

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

thats up to you if you want to do that or not

• WB
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Replace it only if it's clogged, or not working right.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • L.N.
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

It's a $7 part. On cars that are infrequently driven like your's you are more likely to have sludge in the engine that can cause PCV valve failure. It really couldn't hurt to change it.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

55k miles, not a typo?  The PCV valve is not really a scheduled maintenance item but at 15 years old, it would be good to replace it.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.