Info on the Brooklyn Bridge NYC?

Just to clarify; the info I'm asking for is for a book that I'm writing! Please don't think its for anything else :)  

(also, I live in England which is why I have no clue what the Brooklyn Bridge looks like in person)

In my story, the main character lives in New York and throughout the book he gets more and more lonely and suicidal and ends up jumping off the Brooklyn Bridge. Cheerful, I know.

Anyways, I was wondering if the towers of the bridge are hollow? like is there a secret staircase in them for workmen to go up to the top? And if so, how easily accessible would that be for my main character (assuming that other people stopping him wasn't a problem)?

Alternatively, where else could I have my character jump from?

I know there is a scene in "It's Kind of a Funny Story" where the boy falls off the metal bars that go over the road; are those bars accessible from the pedestrian footpath?

I know its an odd question but I don't wanna get the facts wrong !!!!

• Joseph

There are stairways and elevators in the towers but they are not accessible to the public.  There are also gates to keep people from climbing the towers on the cables.  The pedestrian walkway is in the center of the span, so it's not possible to reach the edge of the bridge.  

There are easier ways to commit suicide in New York.  Think of some way that doesn't involve inconveniencing thousands of people. 

Use the Empire State Building.

It's generally best to write about locations you know... so if you're from the UK and have never even seen the Brooklyn Bridge - why not write about a UK equivalent instead?

There's even an elevator (what you call a lift). But it's kept locked. It's not a secret. I know about it because someone got to the top of the tower by climbing the cables or the outside of the tower or something, and was arrested at the top and brought back down in the elevator.

In any case, there's no need to get to the top of the tower. The regular deck of the bridge (where the cars drive) is high enough over the water for someone to commit suicide there. Or the person could jump from the pedestrian promenade (which is slightly higher) and get hit by a car. Or the person could jump for the "approach" (the part of the bridge that's over land) and hit the ground.

Is Google broken? Surely you can do a search on your own and figure this out. That's what writers are supposed to do.

We have a big @as bank in my city. It is obviously for certain people. But I've often thought walking to it, sneaking into the tall @as garage and jumping from the top. To burst open like a balloon full of spaghetti. Cheerful, I know. Also, on one of our main roads, we have an overpass.  I've also thought about jumping onto the interstate as well... Anyway, since you dont care too much about location...you *could* make them jump from the federal reserve in NYC. And add a little financial issue to his existential crisis while you're at it.

Look it up on Wikipedia.  Most of their information is fairly accurate.  But, no, the towers are not hollow.  If they were, they couldn't support the suspension cables.  If you need help, maybe I can do something.  I've written stories, myself.

The Master of Perception: http://tiolibooks.com/cgi-bin/blog

Catch a Falling Star: http://tiolibooks.com/blank_1.html