Do I need to flush my transmission fluid?

In May I bought a used 2016 Camaro V6 auto. I just got my first oil change and the service guy told me It’s recommended I flush my transmission fluid at 30k miles. My car has 44k miles and I bought it with 43k. I had my fluids checked and they never said my transmission fluid was BAD. But they want $500 to flush and I said I would think about it.

Since it’s used I’m unsure if the previous owner ever changed it.

Mistake #1:  sounds like you are going to some quick oil change place . . . their big money is in flushing cooling systems and transmissions . . . 

NEVER flush an automatic transmission - any good independent garage with experienced technicians has computer programs that specify in detail the maker's recommendations to drain, change filters, refill the transmission......not just stir up the dirt with a machine.  AND these days there are number of application specific fluids - the proper fluid MUST be used.  I've seen the quick-flush places use anything they happen to have on hand.

Your Owners/Maintenance manual tells you when the trans fluid should be changed in normal use.  BUT since you bought the car used you don't know how it's been driven, what conditions it's been exposed to.  It would be prudent to have a proper fluid change now, even if ahead of the normal schedule.

ABSOLUTELY NOT.

It is recommended that you CHANGE the transmission fluid at certain intervals. NO vehicle manufacturer recommends flushing transmission fluid.

Yeah, sigh. It's time. I would take it to a Chevy dealer. They'll quote a price & probably not more than  the $500. That will give you a choice, Today's transmission are a technical marvel. Mine has two computers! Please, do not attempt to do it yourself. It's complicated.

• bobby

$500 to flush a trans???, that is a ripoff if I have ever heard one. Just buy you a trans filter and enough fluid to refill, do it yourself and you will be fine.

I would not flush it but what you can do every 50 to 60K miles is have the filter changed and JUST the transmission fluid that is in the pan that comes out when they change the fluid. Go to Youtube and search on "Scotty Kilmer, transmission flush" to find out why flushing is a bad idea.

Never flush an automatic tranny. Your ATF doesn't need changing yet. I recommend changing ATF every 60,000 miles. Either do a drain and fill or if the ATF filter is serviceable replace the ATF filter too. Don't listen to fast lube joint high school drop outs!

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech

A transmission flush is never necessary unless the fluid is so old and filthy it has turned to sludge.  You might want to do it if you're resurrecting a car which has lain derelict for a decade or so, not in normal usage. The dealer is recommending it simply because that's another $500 he can get out of you.

Go by what the book says, but you might want to have the fluid changed if only to set your mind at rest. Have it done by a trusted mechanic, and it will cost you nowhere near that much.

• Ron

According to the maintenance manual in your glove box, severe service requires a change (not a flush) at 45k. This guy is wanting the charge you twice the price.

• Bill

GM do not recommed a trans mission oil change at all so leave it to around the 100,000k mark and then have it done professionall at an accredited transmission shop