Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 10 months ago

Is 30 Weeks Too Soon For A Baby Shower?

This is my first baby. I want to have my baby shower early enough in case I give birth before 36-40 weeks. I want to know if that is too soon. I am 18 weeks right now. I am too excited to get The Baby Room ready to wait. 

My Family is hosting it. But they want to know when is a good time to have it. I thought 30 weeks is enough time for us to buy the baby furniture our selves. The baby furniture is what I am excited to get started on. 

Do it whatever you want. At least you have somebody hosting it. I have to host my own lol. I have always thought a month before is a good time. For instance, I'm due April 21, baby shower is March 22. Have it whenever you want, though. You can never prepare too early. 

Personally I think it’s up to you because babies almost never come on there exact due date . Honestly you could have your baby early you never know .

• Edna

When you're 30 weeks pregnant, you're around  7-1/2 months pregnant. That's an excellent time to have a baby shower. There are 4 weeks in a month, and pregnancy lasts 9 months (give or take about 1-1/2 weeks), and so you would still have 2 more months to go before you can expect to give birth.  

Doctors begin estimating the number of 'weeks' you're pregnant by counting from the first day of your last period. If your doctor is telling you that you're now 18 weeks pregnant, that means you're 4-1/2 months pregnant, and your baby will probably be born some time around the middle of May.

I had my baby shower at 35 weeks.

Well the main question is if the hostess is offering to have it then.  You can't dictate when you're offered a baby shower.  If the hostess is asking what a good time is for you, you can give whatever input you want.  If she's willing to host it then, cool.  If not, you wait until she's willing to host it.

30 weeks is fine. We USED to have the baby shower AFTER the baby was born. That was because we didn't know whether it was a girl or a boy until the baby was born. It's a relatively new thing to have the shower before the birth- because we now have ultrasounds that reveal the sex of the baby. The others are right- I assume someone else is hosting this shower and just asking you when you want to have it. You CANNOT hold your own baby shower. Period. 

• MissA

It's your friends job to plan your baby shower, not yours. You are, in theory, not grubbing for gifts.. your friends are doing it for you. So they should be dealing with this.

IRL several of my GFs planned a baby shower for 30 weeks for a friend of ours. We had it. Two weeks after she gave birth to v. preemie twins. Although we'd been "WE CAN RESCHEDULE" she came and sobbed over all the tiny puff-painted onesies we made.

It all worked out in the end. But maybe don't be so greedy.

As someone who has helped give numerous baby showers at church for years, we usually give them around 6 weeks before the due date.  Baby showers have even been given after the baby arrives, too.   It is not in good taste to throw or plan your own shower.  Most have church, family, or friends throw the shower.  

It's your baby and your party, you can throw a baby shower anytime you want

• edward

A girl in my high school class had her baby before her baby shower. Yes she delivered early, she delivered at 36 weeks and 6 days. The baby shower was on 37 weeks...i wouldn’t wait too long