Would you have to remove the valve head cover when removing the engine?

Hi, I own a 2004 PT cruiser. A few months ago I took it in because the water pump failed, and due to where it's located the mechanics removed the engine from the car. I found out later they jury rigged a part when putting it back in, which caused it to fail a smog test. Now, as it's being fixed again, it's due to a oil leak onto the exhaust manifold, as well as oil filling the spark plug holes ( don't know the exact name sorry) due to the gaskets not being replaced (even though the main valve cover gasket was replaced) when it was last serviced. Would this be a fault of the first mechanic mentioned as they removed the engine, or of another mechanic at a previous time? Sorry if it's not clear what I'm trying to say

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

PT Cruisers are fine cars if you have the skill to work on them.  If not, they are the absolute money pits.  Sell you car when it still has value.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

How is it possible that you didn't get an estimate of the repair? You should've gotten a laundry list of labor, parts, tax & fees. If you didn't, DO NOT pay. Have it towed to a dealership. Always use the dealership. They won't jerk you around. Every state has a department that controls mechanic shops. Find it & complain, complain & complain again.

• Bort
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

This is not the fault of anyone who removed the engine to do other work. They were correct that with some vehicles, how the engine is in them, it's impossible to replace certain parts without removing the engine because they can't be gotten to without removing the engine.

The valve covers DO NOT need to be removed to pull an engine. And most (even crappy, less knowledgeable) mechanics leave them on when pulling or installing an engine to protect what's under them.

Gaskets are seals. They can wear out and stop sealing what they're supposed to. It happens with age and regular wear and tear.

Not anyones fault. The gasket blew or another possibility is vibration shook a bolt loose and caused the leak as well as damaging the gasket where it started leaking.

This stuff happens, and is no ones fault.

Fix = replace the gasket.

• Dan
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Unfortunately you have been paying idiots to work on your car. The engine doesn't need to be removed. I've done several myself without removing the engine on the same car, it's not easy as it's a 6.5 hr job but it's a lot easier than removing the engine.

All bets are off at this point but I wouldn't believe a word they said. It would probably be a good idea to find a knowledgeable friend to come with you to the shop and let them know you're not going to pay for anything and the car better be put back together correctly.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

i would have a mechanic help you with it

• 2 months ago

Cruisers initially were famous for blowing head gaskets. They were recalled to replace the original head gaskets with improved ones. That is NOT a valve cover gasket. The cylinder head cannot be removed without removing the valve cover to access the head bolts. Any gasket you disturb should be replaced, not reused. Oil leaking into the spark plug tubes is because they failed to replace the spark plug tube seals along with the valve cover gaskets....which they probably didn't renew , hence the oil leaks. Who knows which mechanic is to blame. The important thing is to fix what's broken.

• not
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Removing the engine to replace the water pump is odd. PT offers little space in that area but never have I removed the engine for a water pump. You can remove and install the engine without disturbing the valve cover gasket. Replacing the valve cover gasket should include the seals around the spark plugs. Oil leaking onto exhaust manifold sounds like the valve cover gasket. Whoever did that valve cover previously botched that up. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.