What makes someone homophobic?

How can you tell if someone is homophobic? Is it a behavior or more than that?

homophobic or just disagreeing??? Which one?

• Annonymous

No there not............ anymore than if I disagree with my wife, that means I 'hate her guts"??

• reme_1

The first thing out of their mouth is probably something "anti something.

They have been brainwashed by their preach to just know that being gay is wrong and they believe him.

Based on what I've seen from my parents, I strongly believe that being homophobic stems from lack of interaction with gay people and not being exposed enough to the IDEA of being in a same-sex relationship. My mom claims she's not homophobic and is just "uncomfortable" with seeing gay people interacting with each other (kissing, holding hands, etc.) However, my dad is VERY homophobic and uses hateful words/the slang associated :( It really hurts and I'll never understand why some people are more accepting of other bad things in the world, but they can't accept that two men or two women can love each other... 

Disliking homosexuals is not a 'phobia'  it's normal.  In the last few decades, propaganda has tried to change this with phrases like 'homophobia' and saturating the media with gay characters, but it is genetically encoded in normal humans to dislike homosexuals.

Very bad experiences with gay people.

Its a very complicated behavior, The video below covers just one reason for some some guys being homophobic. For other reasons there are other driving factors. Trouble is the behavior while reasonable common it has received little attention in coming to understand it.

.

Homophobia and homophobes are strongly associated with religious views, lack of homosexual feelings or experiences, and lack of interaction with gay people

• jimmy

Being homophobic is indoctrinated by religion.

According to modern science, homophobia is caused by a defect in the brain and people are born that way.