Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 1 month ago

How to Get A Driver's Permit at 17 1/2 in California?

I was wondering the process of how to get one because I looked on the DMV website and all I could find was that I wouldn't need to take Driver's Ed but it didn't say what I would need to do instead.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • g
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The process is easily found and clearly stated on the CA DMV website.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:...

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

You need driver's Ed and general education because the test is in ENGLISH.   If you can't walk down to DMV in person, then I guess you don't want it that bad.  You could also phone them.  You have to go to their office anyways because you need a piece of paper saying you passed your driving tests(written & road test)

Taking a driver's ed course will make your car insurance cheaper.

• 1 month ago

The steps are right there on the DMV website.  If you can't understand that page, there's no way you'll be able to pass the exams.

• 1 month ago

It sounds like you just take the test.  Did you call the DMV?   If you have a hard time reaching someone in your town, you can always call a DMV in another town.  The answer should be the same.  I sometimes find that small town organizations answer more efficiently than those in the bigger cities.

Also, please do not refer to it as a "permit." The government does not permit anything. They can only restrict. Also, government does not grant rights.

They can call it whatever they like, but that does not mean it is technically accurate. Vocabulary and words are influential, which is why government uses the word "permit."

"When words lose their meaning, people will lose their liberty." -- Confucius

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Ron
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

There is no instead

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

go to the dmv and tell them you want to get one

• 1 month ago

Can't you wait until you're 18? There's no need to rush.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.