Gas bill extremely high?

Hello all

So last month I submitted my gas reading wrong (long shift, very tired, wrong time to do it 😂) and I had a letter come through today letting me know my bill this month coming would be £2200, obviously an error I rang up to explain and try and rectify it. 

Their reply in short was "well that's what you submitted so that's what we go by" which is very descriptive as to help me understand. I then went through the math with them, explaining that at the rate they charge per kwh if we had had the gas on 24 hours a day for the entire month it wouldn't even add up to half that figure and again they just said "well we have to go by what you submit" 

Is this really the case? Our bill is normally £80-£100p/m and even with 14 months at this price they still say the bill fits the norm if we were to use it more. 

Can anyone offer any advise? 

• Tavy
    Favorite Answer

Yes ask to speak to a Manager and threaten them with the ombudsman. Also tell them you will be changing suppliers.

Don't back down, it's ridiculous.

UK.

The word is ADVICE, not advise.  Why are you so stubborn?  You were told that they go by what you submit, so why are you not submitting a "corrected gas reading" for that month?  The solution is simple, if you were not so bone headed about it.

• Alexander3 weeks agoReport

After contacting the ombudsman they quickly dealt with it and my supplier basically emailed me saying that they would correct the bill and allow for a discount and then also hinted that I should leave them 😂 saying some other suppliers may suit my needs more 

I'd send them what you think is the right amount with an additional margin because next month there will be a large correction on the bill.  If you send them £2200 they will likely take months to process a refund (funny how they insist on being paid within a few days at the most when you owe month but when they owe you money, it suddenly takes months to get it back to you).

They sent me bills when I had a pre payment metre, I told them until I was blue in the face that since I prepay then I don't have bills. Eventually I just ignored them and changed supplier, never paid their fake bills and nothing happened.

maybe you should talk to a lawyer about it

• Kenny

Ask them if you misread your meter and they owe you money how would that work ?

Have them come and actually read the meter.

Yes. Phone them again and ask to speak to a supervisor not the monkey.

Just submit a new reading on line and they will correct it.

Contact your ombudsmen.

Did you give them the reading again?

They should send you a rectified bill.