Mia asked in HealthOther - Health & Beauty · 10 months ago

what should i do to stop?

i bite my skin around my nails and my nails themselves, i also bite the inside of my cheeks and lips and its causing me pain but i just cant stop

help ;/

That's caused from anxiety. You should see a psychiatrist.

I do the exact same thing, literally 2 weeks ago I finally got myself to stop doing it and have been successful for the past 16 days. You will consciously do it and think "one last time" or just do it and then tell yourself that you only did it because forgot. YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING, realize it and stop yourself. My fingers are almost healed and im so happy I dont feell the need to hide them when talking to people!

Putting bandaids on the worst effected fingers helps for the first few days too

seek a doctor and a psychologist

Try sucking a lozenge

And when you realize you are biting just chose to stop

• Tavy

Chew gum and have your nails done.

You can get special nail polish that tastes gross to stop you biting your nails. Alternatively, just put your hands on something you hate the taste of to get the flavour on there. It takes about 21 days apparently to break a habit. You've got to recognise when you're doing it yourself and stop yourself. Or you can tell your friends to hit you every time you do it.

Wear gloves.........

• KatieC

I had to start getting my nails done. If I got a manicure, I didn’t want to mess it up and waste the money, so I’d stop biting. It’s like being an addict, though. The second I mess up and bite one, I’ll naw them all down in a day and have to start all over.