My car didn't pass inspection because of two defective side mirrors. To replace them would cost more than the car's worth. What should I do?

2002 Honda Civic.The driver's side has a 1" hairline crack on the top of the mirror cover. The front part of the passenger side mirror bracket is separated about a half inch from the door, but is not loose. The shop said they could replace both mirrors for $629, parts & labor. Are they taking me for a ride in my own car?

BTW - I can't order anything online since I don't have "plastic" money.

You can buy used mirrors from an auto recycler for $75 each. Watch a youtube video showing how to take the door interior panel off to replace the mirrors. it's not hard to do.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech

On the weekend take the necessary tools you would need to take yours off and visit a junk yard(auto recycler) as they sell auto parts that are still good.  You do the labor and take it off and put it on and you are done.  Mirror may cost $10.

.  Don't think you can buy a car for $20.Time you waste=1day.

They were trying to get you to ride (but not in your car) You need more lube.

There are 2 easy solutions. (1) Get as far away from the shop that wanted to charge you $629. (Never go there again!!!) (2) Some auto shops sell replacement glass.  Junk yards may have the mirrors but you'll have to do the installation yourself.

Go to a junkyard and get parts from there.

The car is worth more as SCRAP METAL than the cost of replacing the mirrors. YOU can do the labor.

If it isn't worth fixing, you SCRAP IT.

I don't  believe a hairline crack in the mirror housing would even be a footnote on a LEGITIMATE inspection report, much less a failure.

• Ron

Junkyards abound with these and they are probably on the shelf. Simple tools to replace

• Bort

To my knowledge you have 4 options:

1. Fix it.

2. Junk it (you might get paid for it, not a lot but a few hundred bucks is possible).

3. Call your insurance carrier and explain this situation. They are likely to come evaluate it and see if it's at "total loss" (not worth fixing because the repair would cost more than the car is worth).

4. Take it somewhere else and see if another shop will pass it for inspection.

I don't believe replacing mirrors is going to cost more than that car is worth. Honda Civics, especially the older ones lik yours, are extremely reliable cars that as long as they're maintained with oil changes, etc, properly can go for 300,000 miles or more. They last forever and they have a good safety rating.

A 2002 Honda Civic is still selling on autotrader for between $2000 and $6000 depending on it's condition and miles. There's no way replacing mirrors costs more than maybe 800 bucks. Even if they're the heated and electronically adjusted ones (that's just a plug in the back of them or in the door).

The mirros bought brand new are between $15 and $40. And here is how easy they are to replace:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxmfmhvlh1A

Youtube thumbnail

You can probably get replacement mirrors from a junk yard for $10 a piece or maybe even 10 for both.

There's no way replacing both mirrors costs more than a Civic is worth. If that's what someone told you they're either trying to rape your wallet, are super lazy and don't want to do the (easy) work, or they don't know what they're talking about.

Side mirrors don't cost that much and replacing them isn't hard. Look at many aftermarket part outlets, such as "rpru.com", or even salvage yards. $629 might be their price, but that is waaaaaay too much to pay for such minor repair.

That's ridiculous. Go to an automotive glass shop, and I'll bet they will charge half that or even less..

try junkyard for replacements