Really gossipy coworker?

I sit next to this woman at work who is the office gossip. She made up a lie and told our manager that a customer complained about another girl, just because she doesn’t like her, to try to get her in trouble. A couple weeks prior to this, they showed up together at our Christmas breakfast. Then AFTER she made up this lie, she was chatting away with her! She has such a big mouth and literally talks about EVERYONE. Also, when she comes into work in the morning she never says good morning to anyone. You ALWAYS have to say hi to her first. What is her deal? Should I stay away from her?

Yes, stay away. The less she knows the better.

Stay away from office politics.  You have no obligation to greet her in the morning.  Act like she isn't there.

Ultimately, decide what is best for your mental and emotional wellbeing. Only this woman can tell you why she chooses to engage in this behavior and so you decide if you want to invest in her motives. There is no obligation for you to engage with this woman, so consider keeping any interaction work-related only and if she tries to bring you into her conduct/manner, distance yourself and keep the boundaries in place.

i would just stay away from her

• g

I'd tune her out as much as possible and continue on with my own job, speak when spoken to, that kind of thing. If she shares gossip you could point out that's none of your business and you'd rather not hear it.