Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 1 month ago

My uncle and aunt are getting divorced, what do I say when people demand that I hate the uncles soon to be ex?

I don’t hate her but if my grandmother demands that I do I would feel terrible confronting my grandmother. I don’t mind standing up to my mom but nobody else. My mom will always love me and so I don’t mind standing up to her.

Favorite Answer

Your grandmother loves you too. She's just one generation removed. Your g/m is siding with her son who is upset. She CANNOT force anyone to like or dislke somebody just because she no longer likes them. That includes you. You don't have to make a big confrontational thing out of it. If you see the ex aunt and still like her, there's no reason why you shouldn't speak to her and there's no reason why g/m should know about it.

• RP

One reply is that their divorce is a private matter for them and them alone and you don't plan to let it interfere with your relationship with either of them.

• Helen

No one is going to ask or expect that of you.

Your mum and grandmother are adults. They understand that relationships are complicated.