Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 8 months ago

Developed agoraphobia from months of staying indoors?

its really affecting my life at the moment when i go outside i feel self conscious of every movement that i make, it gets worse when walking behind people. its so weird. please dont tell me to go and see a doctor because im too embarrassed and i really dont want my mum to know because shes too busy with other things. is there any way i can cure it myself? i tried listening to music or distracting myself whilst in public which doesnt help

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago
    Favourite answer

The good news is that phobias are very treatable and often respond to self-help. In fact, many people prefer self-help for phobias. The reason is that a therapist's time is costly, and so the program is likely to proceed at a rate that's faster than what the client is comfortable with.

The bad news is that you don't get over a phobia overnight. It takes effort and patience. On the other hand, with self-help you can go as slow as you like, making the program you design fairly easy.

Basically, therapy for phobias, explained in The Feeling Good Handbook by psychiatrist David Burns, is making a list of situations, ranking them according to how scary you find them, and using that ranked list as your objectives. Imagining a situation can be an objective. Start with something really, really easy.

You might start by standing in the doorway of the front door. Your next objective could be walking to the mail box. You can write as many objectives as you like and spend as much time on an objective as you like.

The thing to remember is never go from objective A to objective B until you feel completely confident with A. Things that give you confidence are experience and slow breathing. There's enormous laboratory and clinical evidence that slow breathing is effective for calming people down quickly.

Two psychiatrists, Brown and Gerbarg, say a 10 or 20 min slow breathing exercise - 5 breaths a min - is good and 20 min twice a day is a therapy for anxiety. The exercise is inhale and exhale gently, 6 seconds each.

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

The world does not stop when you go outside. Unless you have fireworks coming out of your head no one is looking at you, this is the problem with some of you thinking they are the centre of the universe.

Stick in your earbuds, listen to music and get on with it.

• 8 months ago

march down the street like you're a soldier, fake it until you make it.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.