Can I lay tile over engineered flooring ?

Is  it possible to lay tile planks over glued down engineered floor or laminate floor with out having to remove it 

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago

yes it is if you know what you are doing , But why not pull up the old flooring 

• 8 months ago

so not recommended. tile of all varieties absolutely requires a floor that does not give at all ... or your mortar [thinset] will develop cracks and fail

• 8 months ago

You need purchase a spirit - level

and test the entire floor thoroughly for stability or even-ness  

before you think of using laminated flooring - it need be level,

or to slope steadily / evenly at/ to one angle only.

• 8 months ago

its not possible over laminate flooring ..it has an underlay ..the floor itself floats ...its possible over engineered flooring as it actually a ply wood ..however you would need to carefully examine floor ...zero bounce and all planks securely screwed down ..PVA the floor ..its very important you use flexibly adhesive and just as important ...flexibly grout ..retailers sell it ..you can buy it premixed but often its an additive ..you add it to standard products 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 8 months ago

"Can you?" sure, you "can".

But it's going to be a big mess. 

The laminate flooring is made to float (move) which is going to crack the grout / unseal the tiles. 

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

i'm sure it's possible.  i don't know how good an idea it would be

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.