How do I get my car to breakdown permanently without totaling it or being too suspicious?

I

want to get a new car, but my mom won’t get a new one until my current one breaks down. My dad used to be a mechanic so he’s able to fix most things within a car, so i need something that he won’t be able to fix or will cost way more to fix than the car is worth. It’s a 2004 honda crv. I’m open to long term plans too, so if that means i have to wait a couple weeks or so for it to eventually break down, then so be it. And you don’t have to give me a whole lecture on how I shouldn’t do this because the car is barely hanging in there and I dont believe its safe to drive anymore and clearly my mom wants to wait until it breaks down in the middle of the road to get a new one.

I would say the easiest thing you can do is to grow up and buy your own car.

I would have to question the story about your dad being a mechanic.   2004 is not old.  Any mechanic worth his salt can keep a car running perfectly well for 50 years (or more).  Yours is 16 yo.  Just broken IN.  It has lost the "new smell"

. Not going to give you a Lecture.  Not going to tell you either. If pop is a mechanic - you can't fool him.. When did you become a mechanical genius to say " this car is barely hanging in there & I don't believe it's safe to drive.. Dad may not know how to do everything so sometimes you have to take it to a specialist.(say autobody man or suspension shop or wheel alignment shop because they got the tools and knowledge that DAD does not have.  You pay them.. Your beliefs have nothing to do with REALITY.AT16yo, there will be many Hondas at the Auto Recycler/auto wrecker/scrapyard/junkyard...whatever it is listed in your phone book.  They recycle auto parts which are slightly used.  Why buy new when used will do? Many parts just sit there for looks.Certain parts such as brake pads, clutch discs, tires, mufflers,CV axles WEAR OUT WITH CONTINUAL USE so you replace with new for all the work that it takes to replace it.  . Bumpers, fenders, doors, hoods, don't wear out so last the life of the steel(100+years).It may cost you $100 to make your car right.  You can't buy a car for $100.00

Obviously, you do not know the  financial situation at home. Maybe the parents are fighting to put food on the table and pay the bills.?

If it was your car & you had  SAVINGS you could go out and buy another car and trade this in and add ALL YOUR SAVINGS.  Then you got to buy collision insurance.  No cash? = no drive. Insurance demands it of you.   That is a huge chunk of cash....immediately.  Or you WALK.

You do not.  Forget it Skippy.

• bobby

What you have done is show how much of a sorry irresponsible and inconsiderate person you are,  if you are not happy with what you have then get your sorry tail out and get a job, save the money,  and get what you want.  

Step one: get a job.

Step two: save money

Step three: buy your own car.

In short:

Get a life and grow up!

simply press the accelerator until the engine blows.

What you want to do is just plain stupid. Anything you might do to carry out you plan will easily be an obvious sabotage.

• arther

go get a free safety check from a mechanic with a quote for repairs to make it safe?

Or ask a policeman nicely to inspect the car if its as big a dunger as you say it will be put off the road if you ask nicely hopefully you avoid the fine for driving an unroadworthy vehicle 

Change the oil and put 50 weight oil in the vehicle. Don't say anything about changing the oil what will happen is because the oil is so thick it won't lubricate as well as it should on the small engine and the crank bearings will break and it'll cost $1,000 to fix it

• Anton

First, be honest. 

There is nothing wrong about the CR-V except that it is a God Damned SUV, not a sporty car.

*IF* "the car is barely hanging" you cannot keep the car running -- you don't have to do anything.

There is no such thing as a unsafe vehicle -- just unsafe drivers. 

You are being tested to see if you are an unsafe driver.

You can want a *new* car, but unless you buy one yourself, your parents will get you another used car.

Probably another compact SUV, since they are the best for the money.