Which is grammatically correct: 1.  “Just my gal and me.” 2.  “Just my gal and I.” 3.  “Just me and my gal.” 4.  “Just I and my gal.” Thx?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

I find it difficult to imagine a phrasing where the object of the word "just" can be used as a subject to a clause, so "just my gal and me" is what I would expect and which would be the "correct" form according to the rules of grammar and style employed by and/or accepted by most people.

• 1 month ago

usn;s

gorkvorjgor

• 1 month ago

It depends on the context in the sentence. If it's the subject of the verb, you say "I".  Just my gal and I are going to the pool. If it's the object of the sentence, you use "me". He gave the invitation to my gal and me.

In your context, as the answer to a question, the formally correct phrase would be "My gal and I".  However, most native speakers would probably say "My gal and me", just as when someone asks "Who is it?" we're more likely to say "It's me" than "It's I". Informal speech is different from formal academic usage. 

• 1 month ago

All 4 is correct depending on how it’s used. Compound subject and objective pronouns makes no difference which is used first or second. With that said, one is preferred over the other if it makes the sentence sound smoother. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

2 is not grammatically correct. Both objects of the predicate must agree with the verb. The verb here is assumed “to be”, since it’s not stated, so the mentions of both you and your gal must agree individually. You couldn’t say “just I”, it would have to be “just me”. So I say that both 1 and 3 are grammatically correct, but 1 sounds more official and 3 sounds more casual.

• kitty_307
      Lv 4
      1 month agoReport

Thank you. If the sentence is in reply to the question, “Who is going in the pool?”, would that still apply?

• 1 month ago

2 and 3 are grammatically correct.

• Sandy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

3. It's nicer to the ear AND it was the name of a song about 60 years ago. 

• kitty_307
      Lv 4
      1 month agoReport

That’s irrelevant to my question.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.