My car waffles side to side after braking. The braking system grabs (like with sudden stops) even with easy stops. What might cause this?

Sorry. The car wobbled.  In my interpretation, to waffle somewhat means to move unevenly from side to side, although I realize now that applies only to human thoughts.

• CB
    Favorite Answer

Badly warped rotor, worn out rotor/pads. Have it looked at by a mechanic if you don't have the "tools" to replace any of the above parts.

• M.

Waffles????????

• Penny1 month agoReport

I thought I had changed that.  I apologize for the confusion it may have caused you.

Sounds like you need a new brake job. The way it is performing is an indication of one or more of the brakes has lost its brake pad. Most likely from wearing down to the metal support pad. If you continue to drive the vehicle in this condition, you will also be damaging the brake rotors as well since the worn pads will be wearing some serious grooves into them!

• Penny1 month agoReport

It got done today. I was told everything was fine, just a little worn.  I had it done anyway, because I had the cash that I would have spent for fripperies otherwise.  I can tell a difference.  It felt like I was pushing down on a wet sponge.  Now there is a clean, hard feel to it. Thanks all!

Sure sounds like warped brake rotors AND possibly worn out brake pads.

Lower control arms are bad.

The control arms need to be pried while the vehicle is on the ground to test them so you need an alignment rack with drive on ramps to verify the control arms need replacing. Do the ball joints when you replace the control arms.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
    • Penny1 month agoReport

Control arms to which? The steering?

Your rotors are warped and need to be replaced.

• Penny1 month agoReport

I did get them replaced with the brake pads. I can tell a difference, a clean, definite braking.  Thanks!

• YKhan

Brakes are unevenly worn out from side to side.

Car needs a brake job.  Make an appointment with the $75 an hour dude.

• Frank

You’re braking system is worn. Or you could have a problem with your suspension or you could have a problem with your tires or you could have a problem with your wheels. Why don’t you just take it to a mechanic?

• Penny1 month agoReport

I found a brake and suspension service.  I think they may have tightened the connections up a little, because it seems to be handling sharper as well as stopping better.