Do I need to report a fender bender accident in PA?

I "tapped" somebody while at a red light. No damage to either cars. It was totally my fault, I gave the other driver all my info. He didn't seem too upset and said nothing was wrong but took everything just in case. So should I report to my insurance or not?

• Edna

You should ALWAYS report an accident (even a fender-bender) to your insurance company. 

usually not. But different states and countries have different laws

• Bort

All accidents should have a report made about them. Having a report protects everyone providing a written statement (police daily report) that 'hey, this happened, and this was the damage' from an official and trusted 3rd party.

If there are no injuries the police do tend to refer to it as a "Non Reportable Accident" which just basically means there were no injuries and there's no reason to get other EMS like fire trucks or ambulances involved; reported to so they're dispatched.

I've lived in PA all my life and my father is a fire, vehicle rescue, EMT, extreme/rough terrain rescue, and hazmat instructor for the state and has been since I can remember (40 some years). That doesn't mean my knowledge of the terms are 100% accurate but that is my understanding of it.

You should report any and all accidents so you're protected. Like for example say you tap a guard rail and one or 2 people saw it happen but there was no damage. Then after you leave one of those 2 people slam in to it and blame you for either running them off the road, or causing the damage to their car and the guard rail.

Just as an example....

If you reported it and police came and saw that there was no damage to the rail or your car...there's viable evidence that clears you from what other people might attempt blaming you for.

....and things like that. Having a police report made, which happens by an officer showing up and looking at it, protects you and anyone or thing else invovled.

My insurance carrier requires that a report be made within 48 hours or they will deny the claim.  Report it to your AGENT and let them decide.

If you fail to report and the other driver decides he/she has whiplash, you have a problem.

• Erik

No, not if there was no damage.  You should have protected yourself by taking pictures of his car at the scene, however.

• May

Yes.  You should report it to your insurance company.  If the other driver does not file a claim, nothing will happen.  If they do, your insurance company will be aware.

If there was no damage that's not a "fender bender" dumbass. FAIL

You should still tell your insurance company in case the guy comes back on you and makes a claim. Did you take any pictures? No? Fail again. 

You don't have to report a small accident if both parties agree to take care of the damage themselves like a hundred or $200 worth of damage. But it is always to your benefit to properly document any accident with a police report people have a way I've coming back a month or two later weather very large bill and says oh you damaged my sensors in my vehicle and it cost $5,000 to repair. Don't let yourself get suckered into that report the accident

• Erik

The police won't always come out.  The one time I called them after an accident, they said if there were no injuries, they wouldn't come out there.