My AA battery leaked on my gold wedding ring. Will it damage it? ?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Definitely .....That battery is SHOT , NO GOOD , and should be disposed of .

• 1 month ago

Wash it off with soap and water.

• 1 month ago

Gold coins can lay on the bottom of the ocean for hundreds of years without being damaged, so I'd say clean it off and relax.

• 1 month ago

If it did, all that would be is a stain you could easily wipe or polish off. Just wash the ring in soap and water.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

That depends on the quality of the gold. 9 carat is only 37.5% gold, the rest is silver and possibly copper. That mix won't tarnish in normal everyday wear, but battery chemicals might get to it. 14 carat or higher should be ok.

• Dan
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

An odd question for "Maintenance and repairs" but - you're in possession of the ring, look at it...did it get damaged?

• Lôn
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No, gold is very unreactive...just get it cleaned. Don't get mercury on it though (from a broken thermometer for example) as it will form an amalgam with it and ruin it.

• 1 month ago

No. Gold is pretty much resistant to acid, oxidation, and corrosion. That’s why gold costs so much. 

• Dan1 month agoReport

It has some copper made in with gold would that react? 

• 1 month ago

I was feeling a month ago I send

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

No.  Wipe it down with alcohol.  That is all.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.