Anonymous

Why can't I get hired anywhere in retail?

I've spent over 6 months trying to get a retail job. I've gone well-dressed, spoken to the managers, and called at least once a week or two expressing my interest in the job. I've applied to so many places and have gotten a few interviews at least but no job offers. I even went to one place where the manager seemed very interested in me, even when we finished the interview. Am I doing something wrong? I don't understand why no one chooses me. I have a high school diploma and a diploma in retail sales.

It's the numbers. EVERY job posting is still getting 200 to 300 applications. They pick the top 20 and call them in for interviews. They pick the one out of the 20 that they like best.

• Niko

Your interview skills might be the problem. You should not have too much difficulty finding a job in retail even with no prior experience. 

Why retail? I work in retail and I've been doing so for several years now. It takes a special kind of person to WANT to work in retail. It's stressful at times and the pay is laughably low.

• Maxi

When you don't get the job offered phone the company and ask them for feedback on your interview and why you were not employed............. that will give you the information you require then you can improve for the next time

If I were to guess, it sounds like a lack of experience is the sticking point for hiring you. If twenty people each apply for the same jobs you're pursuing, then the ones whom already have worked in the industry will more likely be given preference.

I'd cold contact managers of companies you'd like to work at. If they don't currently have any positions available, then ask if it's okay to check back with them every two weeks. Then follow up on your promise and be persistent.

Ensure they have your resume and the means to contact you via text and phone.

This means next time one of their staff is leaving, they can call you in to replace their employee, without having to advertise.