How 80 seat majority is calculated in British general election 2019 with 365 seats ?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Clive
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Assuming you meant "How is an 80 seat majority calculated...", it's the majority over the rest.  With the Conservatives having 365 seats, the rest put together have 285.

365 - 285 = 80.

So when there is a vote on something in the House of Commons, then if they are all there and vote that way, the Conservatives win the vote by 80.

In fact the practical majority is bigger.  The Speaker doesn't vote and the 7 Sinn Fein MPs won't take their seats because they refuse to swear allegiance to the Queen.  When Parliament first meets after the election, the first thing they have to do is elect a Speaker, and the next thing is for them all to individually take the oath of allegiance.  If they don't, they can't sit, speak, vote or get paid.  (The swearing-in takes a few days as there's so many of them, and it gives Mr Speaker a chance to welcome them all especially the new ones. Kind of nice!  It also helps him to recognise them so when an MP stands up to speak, he can call out the right name.)

That takes 8 more out of the 285, and the Conservatives have a majority of 88.

• suraj7 months agoReport

Great, thank you Clive. I tried to figure out on my own, scratched my head many times, finally relieved though it does not change anything of mine. Just tried to learn. 

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 7 months ago

The winning party (conservative) has 365 members of parliament. All the other parties added together have 285 members of parliament.  That gives the conservatives in parliament a majority of 80 even if everyone else voted against them.

• suraj7 months agoReport

Thank you Lord Bacon

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.