emma asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

Does the phrase can’t do with out mean ?

Like I can’t fry chicken with out flour? Difference between .. can’t do without and can’t live without 

"Can't do without" means that you can not accomplish what you want to if you do not have that ingredient.  

"Can't live without" means you will die if you don't have whatever it is..

By the way there are acceptable substitutes for flour if you want to fry chicken but there is no substitute for water or air, those you can't live without. 

• Jerry

It's means something is essential, is necessary, that the desired goal can't be accomplished without that something. Like "If we're going to make omelettes, then we can't do without eggs." 

In the case you cite, it sounds like the person meant "For my way of making fried chicken, flour is necessary." Sure, other people's way of making fried chicken may not require flour but the comment isn't about other people. It's about what is necessary for that person to make fried chicken in his/her usual way. 

they both mean the same thing

You can apply that to anything Emma. My head is overflowing right now with examples but, they will have to wait because I can't do with out my breakfast sorry. ;-)  

Cannot do without means you would not be able to continue on without that particular item or whatever. Cannot live without means that you would physically become ill without the item in question. When you are using the analogy regarding a recipe that concept becomes rather moot. You can always find a replacement for flour in a chicken frying recipe and you definitely wouldn't be at risk of death if you used another ingredient in its place.