What type of furnace filter is this? It's in an old Lennox Furnace. Can I vacuum this to clean it?

Can I buy a new one somewhere? I looked on the internet but I only saw media filter rolls and paper looking square filters.

This is a rough material, almost like a green 3M pad but more course.

Thank You Everyone for your helpful answers 

Favorite Answer

That looks like a "cut-to-fit" washable filter to me. Take it outside and wash it from the inside out with just the hose, no spray attachment. Then after it dries, you can spray a thin coat of filter charger on the outward side of it before putting back into service.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/14-oz-Aerosol-Filter-C...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Flanders-PrecisionAire...

Home Depot has several choices of the cut-to-fit washable filters!

Source(s): retired electrician/HVAC Tech
    • Darren1 month agoReport

Thanks! These are hard to find. I can't seem to find a new one to purchase. It does seem too sturdy to be a disposable filter. It's a lot firmer than the media filters. It's kind of like a woven welcome mat, but less dense 

• Droopy

Would have to see it removed it looks like it's the washable type.  There like the fiberglass type but its actually a heavier material than the cheap fiberglass.  If you decide to replace it I'd prolly filter material.  You can buy in a roll cut to size an the poly filters the air better than they style mesh you have 

Replace it.  They are not supposed to be cleaned.

• Darren1 month agoReport

Do you know where to buy the same product? Or is Media Filter the updated version of this?

• ioerr

it's a hammock filter.

no you're not supposed to vacuum it.  you're supposed to replace the fiberglass element.  you need a box with big roll of that stuff in it, you cut off the length required, remove the dirty stuff off the wire wire frame, and put the clean stuff on

i don't know if what you have there is a lennox.  i've got an old lennox that uses basically the same thing

there's only one store around here that sells the boxes with the filter rolls i need also. 

• ioerr

i have no idea.  i only know about the disposable fiberglass stuff they sell for this around here.  the same material you see inside those box filters.  that heavy green stuff you've got there, i've never seen that.