Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 1 month ago

How do you ask to interview a law enforcement officer.?

I am in a Forensic Behavioral Sciences class on interviewing, deception detection and interrogation; this teaches us various information gathering methods as well as official techniques used by law enforcement, such as the Reid Technique. And, for an assignment, I have to interview a law enforcement officer on interrogation and how he or she utilizes interrogation techniques. Basically, I have to ask an officer his/her background, credentials, training, current interrogation techniques, usage of said techniques, knowledge/perception of techniques discussed in my class, etc. Do I just call the police department and ask them if they have time for an interview? Or do I go in and talk to the person at the desk? Which is better/most respectful and not pushy?

You call in advance and explain why you would like to interview an officer.

I'm in law enforcement.  These classes are a waste of time.

• Bruce

You could be in for a long wait if you show up without calling. You need to call first and make an appointment. If this is a common practice for your class, the department will be used to getting calls. Your instructor may even be able to give you a number and/or contact name. 

Talk to your instructor on what to do. Your school should have contacts with various liaison offices in various police departments. You want to be good doing this. So talk to a detective, and put a good word in for yourself. You might also ask if it is possible for you to witness a real interrogation by police.