Past Landlord sent me a past due bill?

My past landlord sent me a bill for $4 from two years ago. The “recovery” fee is well over $100 and I have never been billed for it before. Am I legally obligated to pay them this outrageous bill or just pay the original $4?

• Robert

I would badger him with details of what the bill is for, what caused him not to contact you prior to now, why he believes a recovery fee of $100 is legal. I would ask him a written question in the mail every time he answered one. In other words I would make him use a thousand dollars worth of effort to collect the four dollars, which I would gladly pay once I had had my fill of fun playing with him. Don't even consider pay the recovery fee. Tell him to take you to court for it and tell him if he even dares to contemplate doing something that would damage your excellent credit score you will keep in in court until his children's children are old enough to retire. Honestly there isn't much he can do to you over four dollars, but you can have some fun. Remember to admit nothing and just keep asking questions. Enjoy

It depends on your contract with your landlord.  If the "recovery fee" is in the contract, and you signed the contract, you owe the recovery fee.  If not, just the $4.  It is that simple.  If you don't have a copy of the lease send the $4 with a request of a copy of the lease to identify the recovery fee clause claiming you will be happy to send the other $100 once received.  Chances are you won't hear from them again.

• G R

Wait, WHAT, what is the $4.00 dollars for? How did it become $100.00? I don't know what you are asking so it is hard to answer you.

Do you have anything from him when you  moved out like a deposit being refunded?  I would argue that shows it's his mistake and you aren't liable, much less for a $100 fee after two years.

what they will do if you default ?

sue you ? its not going to be cheap for them tho

what is the $4 for?

contact the landlord and offer the $4 if you would have actually owed the amount.  state you were never billed and would have paid if you were.

If he has never made an attempt to collect you do not owe any additional charges if this is the first you've heard about it.