Math help?

I am trying to do some calculations and it's not the one online but I know it's right please confirm. 5x + 6 = 12. Subtract 6 from each side. Now we have 5x = 6. So multiply each side by 5 and we have x = 30. The website says it's 1.2 but it can't be!

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Como
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

:-

5x   = 6

x.  = 6/5

x   = 1•2

• David
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Divide each side by 5 and not multiply and so the value of x = 1.2

Check: 5*(1.2) + 6 = 12

• 8 months ago

5x times 5 is not x.

What you needed to do, after finding that 5x = 6,

is to DIVIDE both sides by 5.

Look at it this way. Suppose you have $6 and you want to look at it as 5 piles of coins (with "x" money in each pile). Do you really think each pile could have $30? Nope, each pile has $1.20.

• sepia
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

5x + 6 = 12

5x = 6

dividing both sides by 5

x = 6/5 = 1.2

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 8 months ago

I think you need to divide by 5

• 8 months ago

if you multiplied both siders by 5 you would have

5•5x = 6•5

or

25x = 30

what you should do is divide by 5

5x/5 = 6/5

x = 1.2

check

5x + 6 = 12

5(1.2) + 6 = 12

6 + 6 = 12

ok

• 8 months ago

Have you tried putting 30 in the place of X to check? Clearly that wouldn't be the solution. You simply needed to DIVIDE by 5 to isolate the X.

1.2 IS the correct answer, by the by. Simply messed up on one part, is all 😊

• 8 months ago

I had a math teacher in the 6th grade who taught us the DIMS rule. DIMS stands for Does It Make Sense.

The other answerer already explained--you divide by 5, not multiply.  But look at the answer you got and you can see it's unreasonable.  If 5x + 6 = 12, what's (5*30)+6?  It would take me about 10 seconds to do that in my head but even without doing that I can see it's a lot more than 12!  So that's probably wrong.

But you had the right idea.  You used the right steps!  I'd give you partial credit.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

Divide by 5, not multiply.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.