I quit my job. I sent an email letting management know I was resigning, yet they put in their system that I was terminated. Is this legal?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 months ago

Your resignation email is very much part of the record. Scope of 'terminated' is an internal matter of the HR system of the company. Legality of the same will only come to be tested if the same is communicated in any manner to your future potential employer in a way prejudicial to you.

• 10 months ago

Yes. By definition you were terminated.  It's not a big deal if you have worked there for at least a year.  

• 10 months ago

When an employee leaves a company, it is almost always called "terminated".  Within that they usually track - voluntary and involuntary termination

- the company may even track the specific reason, such as:

voluntary termination = returned to school

involuntary termination = attendance issue

• 10 months ago

They terminated you after finding out that you were snooping in their confidential personnel files. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Judy
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

It's not illegal.

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

No it is not but actually getting them to change anything is going to make you have to take them to court entrance to them and sue them for slander and libel remember that you bear the burden in a court of law to prove that you resigned. if you can do that and if you can prove that that employer is releasing information that you were fired and that it is caused you a hardship in finding another job or financial loss then you can sue them

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

Why would they do that? How do you know?

Its their system, they can do what they want.

Chances are nobody is going to ask them nor would they tell them anything.

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

Your boss probably fired you for the tacky way you quit.  A personal visit with a letter is the preferred way to resign from a job.

• 10 months ago

It would be illegal if you used them as a reference and they told your prospective new employer that you'd been fired.  You could sue them!

What they believe internally is their business.  But you should  have handed in a resignation letter or memo on paper, because that has to go into your personnel file.  If you sued them, the personnel file could be subpoenaed, and your resignation letter would be proof that you'd resigned voluntarily.

Lv 7
    10 months ago

How they document it is their own business.  But if they tell potential new employers you were fired, you could sue.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.