Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 10 months ago

My mom’s uncle is rude and has a narcissistic personality like Donald Trump. How do I act when I see this man on New Year’s Eve?

Narcissistic people are challenging to be around, so best you can do is keep a physical distance as much as possible and if you do engage with this man, keep your conversation at the surface level and do not share any details of your personal/private life. Approach with caution.

Ingnore him. If he tries to talk to you, turn your back to him and let him know that you do not want to have anything to do with him.

Try to avoid hinmmm

Circulate away from him.

• reme_1

Ignore him as much as possible and when you have to be in his presence just be civil and leave.

• G R

like yourself, that is all you can be

chill and have a one to one talk if it get chronic

• TC

Ignore him if he is rude towards you

just ignore him if hes rude

Just act like he acts. I did the same thing and that’s how I got all my rage out. Below is a picture of my grandfather. We would rant, flip each other off, curse, vent about women, and we had a great time at it. He’s probably the closest person I’ve ever had in my life. 

Now when I was five years old we didn’t do this but started when I was about 13. I do remember him teaching me the middle finger though when I was about nine and he was flipping off a driver.  he would use other profanity words but just told me that they meant things that would be of no interest to me when I was little so that I didn’t use it in school. For example the F word meant A term for political legislation passing through Congress. The C word  meant A medication taken to avoid skin cancer in women under 50.  Also the N-word meant A political term for electing one party’s candidate. 

So as you see all of this made me bored and so I just didn’t process the words.  when I was 13 my mother died in Pan Am flight 103 over Lockerbie Scotland and my grandfather took me in at home schooled me.  We had a time of our lives and we were so close and we never fight but we would curse and yell in a fun way to get her anger at society out. My aunt who would visit reminded me that in the general public I should never use these words and that racism was just for old people.  I became aware that racism was wrong and as an adult have complete respect for people of all races. But my grandfather couldn’t help it as we lived on a farm in West Virginia.  My grandmother, his cousin, had died the same year as my mom. My fathers identity was unknown though I recently found out on ancestry.com.  He’s no longer living. 

So long story short my grandfather was my inspiration and my role model but he behave just like you’re describing your great uncle “angry old white man”.  On top of that my grandfather was an alcoholic and he was really fun with drunk.  My aunt would come and get me to go places since he couldn’t drive but that was once a week. Rest of the week it was just him and I five miles from the nearest town or house. We had a good all-time.  

He died of cirrhosis at 65 when I was 18. I’ve lived on the farm ever since and my aunt is one of the only people I know. Thanks to his wealth and the excuse of my learning disabilities, I’ve never had to work. I’m 41 now. I do volunteer to help my aunt out though now that she’s older and she’s always been there for me and never married so I’m like an only child to her. 

Below is my grandpa’s picture. My aunt and I took it at Thanksgiving one year when I was 12. Here he was drunk and talking about the election of Bill Clinton that year. 

I’m just lucky CPS never found out how little I learned. Homeschooling was watching the news with him and learning how to fire a shotgun. Things like algebra I never learned. My aunt taught me life skills like laundry and how to balance a checkbook.  He did teach me some math though. Also taught me American history but that was where I realized he was racist. Likely my aunt taught me that all races are good. 

So it’s a long story but when you described your great uncle it brought back memories of my grandpa Paul.  

Merry Christmas