Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 8 months ago

Some time ago, I was falsely arrested. I then received a letter of apology from the local police chief. Should I sue?

Need more data.

Probably should get lawyer for 30  minute free consultation. Suing cops costs $5,000, minimum.If  an experienced lawyer sez that any other cop in same circumstances might arrest, you stand very little chance of winning  in court. Have to prove actual police wrongdoing-- outside P & P or no probable cause nor  reasonable suspicion, profiling, etc. I wear my Biker leathers a lot , I am Waiting for the day I get profiled. 

As far as "Statute of Limitations",  well,  there is always Equitable Tolling, which means you were factorially  or at least statutorially innocent.  Innocence in any criminal case  has no time limit. This IS applicable to appeals and your particular civil suit, as it is Based on a criminal case.  Still, the more time you delay , the worse it looks in court.Cases have been ruled against or disallowed simply due  to a case looking frivolous or vindictive and not   serious loss if not acted upon as soon as courts can allow. The chain of custody of  police gathering evidence loses much weight by delay, as well as your Presenting it.   I was a juror in  civil suit where plaintiff  waited 6 months to sue, we ruled  against her  as she was vindictive, had just broken up with the boyfriend and sued  him a Month  Later...  Within the SOL or not. 

Unless you suffered great financial loss.,bail bondsman, time at work etc, I'd settle for the apology and insist on complete expungement of any records. Rare that Any cop,  much less Dept,  ever admits they are wrong except under  great public pressure. 

Source(s): Considered suing Cotati PD and TPD, consulted lawyer in both cases. Juries tend to believe the cop.

The only one to sue is whoever taught you to write fiction.

Assuming you were falsely arrested, there is NO WAY the police departments attorneys would allow such a letter to be written.

Besides, just because you were not convicted, that doesn't equal false arrest.

I would if I were you.

Gosh..u got an apology? Thats rare. Yahoo strangers dont know the details of the false arrest. I probably wouldnt getting an apology..kinda sweet...but again..i dont know how bad the false arrest was

• james

If the cop had reasonable grounds to arrest no. Unless a great loss. As a Attorney will cost more or most of what you recover. I would advise. If the cop had reasonable grounds & it was a 1 time thing. To accept the apology.  On the other hand the ops go into a slander of you. Try to murder you repeatably  & make your life hall to save one of there own pack. Then they have made a enemy for life. It is very unusual a cop would apologize in the U.S. Normally they just send the pack out to bury there mistakes. Are you sure it is from the cops?

Yes.  You can sue for damages.  That means monetary loss.  What is your monetary loss?  How long were you jailed?  How much were your legal fees?  How much did you miss by being unable to report for work?

There is a statute of limitation.  What is "some time ago?"

you should definitely contact lawyer for a lawsuit retain the letter that you got from your local police chief apologizing that's an admission of guilt in a court of law that you were wrongfully arrested you're entitled to money for being falsely imprisoned for the time that you missed at work and for any legal expenses and any emotional aggravation that you experienced but it's pretty darn hard to get any money from the police or the sheriff's department you might get a judgement but it's notoriously hard to collect.

• Bruce

An arrest can be wrong, but still be reasonable. There is also a statute of limitations that will vary with jurisdiction, but I'm not aware of any states that use "some time ago".  Until you provide additional information, it is impossible to answer your question. 

If you believe it was malicious and intended to harm you, yes.  Or, did you suffer a loss? Other than that I'm not sure if you can win. The simple truth is anyone can sue someone for something. Isn't your goal winning?

• R R

I don't think you can.