Daniel asked in TravelAir Travel · 8 months ago

I got sick from an airline and it ruined majority of my holiday. Can I claim some compensation?

Brief summary of the incident: This flight took place between Singapore to London Heathrow with the airline British airways. A passenger (seated in front of me) on the plane was throwing up prior to doors closing and was approached by staff on whether he was fit to fly when he replied yes. My opinion was no. After taking off this passenger continued to throw up for the 15 HOUR FLIGHT! The flight staff even required a doctor on board to administer an injection to subdue the vomiting. Not only was it an unpleasant experience to which the smell and the sounds made it almost impossible for me to eat a meal but a couple of days after landing I had developed the same symptoms as this passenger. I had to cancel plans to see family on my holiday as well as tours and sightseeing. I know for a fact that this passenger would have been removed from the plane had he flown with another airline as it is a risk to other passengers if a sick person with contagious symptoms is allowed to fly. If anyone has any information regarding this subject or if I have a case I would appreciate any replies. 

Thank you all for your replies

I have already made complaints to the airline and called customer service and they ensured me they would investigate and reply but it has been weeks since I have contacted them.

Well thanks for your answers. I would like to say that I was in fact in the right as I have now been refunded the full cost of the flight as well as compensations for my troubles. Anyone else who may experience this problem I would like to advise that you continually follow up your claim with the airline as they may not respond to your initial complaint.

Talk to an attorney, good luck.

Did you ask at any stage to move?

Once the flight was in progress, there was no way to de-board him (you can't just 'get off' a plane...)

• John

I'm another ignorant **** so I'll just keep it to myself.

No, people are just always prone to getting sick on airplanes. Turbulence makes people sick. That would be like asking for compensation after school bores you and it ruins your day