Anonymous

Why are people still going to college for useless majors who don’t plan on going to graduate school?

Simply put, I graduated from college in 2014 and every single one of my friends who majored in a liberal art field, classics, anthropology, English literature, religious studies, African American studies, history, etc are all either a) unemployed still, b) working part time in clerical (boring) work unrelated to their major, c) applying to graduate school to go back to school , or d) a teacher or substitute teacher making 25-35k a year. All of them still live with their parents or roommates at 27-28 years old. And all of my friends who graduated with a degree in statistics, finance, computer science, or engineering are all working full time jobs with benefits and making 70-80k a year at 27-28 years old. Even my friends from high school who went into trades and didn’t go to college are making 50k+ a year. So I really don’t see the point in getting an expensive degree (yes college is expensive nowadays too) with no application to jobs in the modern world where tech skills are key requirements for any job that pays over 60k a year 

Favorite Answer

It is difficult to know what to do after school is complete. If you don't have advice to the contrary from your parents, you likely followed your study inclinations, You are where you are - but still time to change direction if that is what you want.

• James

Because whereas we are looking at it all in retrospect with the experience of work and much thought, most of what they have known in life is only education, and they are still quite young, so with what do they have to compare their education-focussed decisions?

• Frank

College is OBSOLETE...you & your friends are finding out the HARD WAY.

I know three dance majors, all working in their field. A journalist major, working in his field. Museum studies, working at a major museum in Chicago.  

I guess  it depend on who you know.  

Why not ask the person who majored in African American studies why they choose that major?

Because college is fun. Some people want to go for experience not everything’s about money 

• John

This is an interesting question, as this exact scenario is presented on this forum about every month or so.  It always seems to come from an anonymous poster as well.  I would recommend that you refer back to the many previous answers you, er, I mean...the question, received before.

Because they just want to go to college and learn about something they like. Not everyone's life revolves around maximizing income.

• Laurie

Why? Because they go about it backwards when they select a major. They choose a subject that interests them, without any thought of preparing for a JOB, or they choose a school without researching whether the school offers the academic program they need.

Instead, college-bound students should research JOBS, including employment and salary projections. Next, they should research the academic requirements for the jobs they are considering... and THEN research the schools with respect to fulfilling those requirements.

I don't know. Why don't you ask those people, whom you know and I don't, why they did what they did?

There's no way of knowing what degrees are useful and which aren't.  I graduated from college long before you.  Every person I know who graduated with a Fine Arts degree is gainfully employed.  Most have families and own their own homes.  I do know plenty of people with STEM degrees who are underemployed or unemployed.  Every year people I know with CS related degrees lose their jobs to lower-paid H1B workers or watch as their jobs are offshored.  I also know people who got STEM degrees even though they weren't interested because they thought it would be a stable way to make money.  Many of them couldn't stand working in the field and quit after a few years and got degrees in fields that actually interested them.

Right now, degrees in Business and Finance are the least likely to work out.  People with degrees in Gender Studies are in higher demand than those with Business degrees.  In a few years something else will be on top, which those with degrees that are currently trendy will have to retrain because there are no more jobs in their field.  You might as well pick something that you'll enjoy instead of trying to guess what will pay the best in the long run.  

• Richard

I don't believe that at all.  Gender Studies, humanities, liberal arts, etc. equip you with NO job skills and they do NOT make you a critical thinker.